- He guessed as well as he could, and crawled along for a good way, till suddenly his hand met what felt like a tiny ring of cold metal lying on the floor of the tunnel. It was a turning point in his career, but he did not know it. He put the ring in his pocket almost without thinking; certainly it did not seem of any particular use at the moment.
- What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?
- One of Gollum's riddles for Bilbo. The answer is "mountain".
- Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still.
- One of Bilbo's riddles for Gollum. The answer is "teeth".
- Voiceless it cries,
- One of Gollum's riddles for Bilbo. The answer is "wind".
- An eye in a blue face
Saw an eye in a green face.
"That eye is like to this eye"
Said the first eye,
"but in low place
Not in high place."
- One of Bilbo's riddles for Gollum. The answer is "sun on the daisies".
- It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter.
- One of Gollum's riddles for Bilbo. The answer is "dark".
- A box without hinges, key, or lid,
yet golden treasure inside is hid.
- One of Bilbo's riddles for Gollum. The answer is "egg".
- Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.
- One of Gollum's riddles for Bilbo. The answer is "fish".
- No-legs lay on one-leg,
Two-legs sat near on three-legs,
Four-legs got some.
- One of Bilbo's riddles for Gollum. The answer is "fish on a little table, man at table sitting on a stool, the cat has the bones".
- This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
- One of Gollum's riddles for Bilbo. The answer is "time".
- Bilbo pinched himself and slapped himself; he gripped on his little sword; he even felt in his pocket with his other hand. There he found the ring he had picked up in the passage and forgotten about.
"What have I got in my pocket?" he said aloud.
- “Where iss it? Where iss it?” Bilbo heard him crying. “Losst it is, my precious, lost, lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!”
- "Thief, thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!"